Monday, October 6, 2014

From "Our Favorite Kiwi" :)

Hey there everyone,

It's your favorite Kiwi, Elder Butler. So there's not much to talk about this week. Nothing too crazy happened. But hey.. If i happen to repeat myself in my letters, you'll have to forgive me.. I have no idea what i sent the week before. :)
So my companion is the district leader.. which is perfect for me because we have to go on exchanges ALL THE TIME. (an exchange is where we switch companions for a day and learn from them and stuff like that) It's been awesome to get to know all the elders here. Usually when we go on an exchange i'm with somebody that's been there a while because i'm a new guy.. but this week was a little different. I was able to be the head guy for a few transfers... and i haven't even been out for 2 months yet. So honestly... when i heard that i was going to be with someone that hasn't even been out as long as me.. i was terrified. I'm usually the one learning from the older guys, but this time i was on my own! But lets be honest.. I definitely needed it. So i prayed my little heart out that i would be able to have a successful day. 

I can honestly tell you that i had so much help those 2 days i had transfers. In Alma 26:12 it says, "Yea, I know that i am nothing; as to my strength i am weak; therefore i will not boast of myself, but i will boast of my god, for in his strength i can do all things..." And that's what i'm doing right now! When i went out those 2 days, We almost had more lessons taught and more new investigators than the whole entire month before! It was unreal. And when Elder Wangsgard returned and asked how we did... I've never been so excited to tell him! his reaction was exactly how i pictured it was going to be;)

I just finished the book of Alma, and Helaman, and almost all of 3 Nephi.. I have really been feasting on the words as much as possible!! But as I came to the story of the 2000 Stripling Warriors, I couldn't help but think of my dear family. The fathers of these boys kept there covenants and led/taught them by example.. their mothers taught them to walk in the ways of righteousness. These stories reminded me perfectly of my parents. My dad who has taught me by his amazing example, and my mama who has worked her butt off the last 18 years to raise this little boy:) I love thinking about you guys! Everything about missionary life says, "leave everything at home behind." But in my eyes.. that's a bunch of rubbish!! thinking about my family in such a positive way is what keeps me going! I can see how it wouldn't be good for some..but for me, it's all good:)

So I just thought i'd let you know... We have a little ward FHE type thing every Friday. It's called cottage evening. I gave the lesson last week.. It was awesome. The ward loves me! they thought i was freaking hilarious! ;) So that's been a big help while having to work with the members!:)

Last cool story! Alma 63... It's about a man named Hagoth!! I bet you've heard his name.. he made ships and sailed on the west sea... Yeah.. Well Joseph F. Smith came out and said, "you brothers and sisters from New Zealand, I want you to know that you are the people of Hagoth!" and David O. McKay in the Hamilton Temple dedicatory prayer said, "We express gratitude that to these fertile islands thou didst guide descendants of Father Lehi, and hast enabled them to prosper." New Zealand is so sick.. These people are the real deal!! I love being the minority.. I may be in the ugliest part of all of New Zealand, but it's also where ALL the islands live! so it's been way sweet! 

Oh.. i actually have one more.. So Bro Harris (big Maori fella in our ward) made us dinner the other night.. it was so sick! So to start out, he made me and elder Wangsgard a homemade pizza. Then for the dinner itself, we had a whole chicken each, about 4 or 5 potatoes, vegetables of every kind, 5 rolls, and heaps of other stuff! It was ridiculous! I smashed it like it was my job!!

But yeah.. that's about it for the week!! I'm killin over here in the good ol' NZ! 

Elder Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment